NWT and NU Rankings from the Annual Fraser Institute Survey of Mining Companies, 2021
19 April 2022
Some key survey takeaways extracted by the NWT & Nunavut Chamber of Mines
- Overall Investment Attraction Index: (IAI)
- NT ranks 35 out of 84 globally in 2021 - moving from 46 out of 77 globally in 2020 and is #10 in Canada for mining investment
- NU ranks 28 out of 84 globally in 2021 - moving from 39 out of 77 globally in 2020 and is #7 in Canada for mining investment
- Yukon ranks 9 out of 84 globally in 2021 - moving from 18 out of 77 globally in 2020 and is #3 in Canada for mining investment
- Quebec ranks 6th globally; followed by Yukon (9); Ontario (12); BC (16) in the top 20 global destinations.
- #1 jurisdiction is Western Australia
- Investment Attraction Index combines both the Policy Perception Index (PPI) and the Best Practices Mineral Potential Index; with the Investment Attraction Index weighted 40% PPI and 60% by Mineral Potential Index
- Overall senior mining executives cite uncertainty around protected areas, disputed land claims and environmental regulations as major areas of concern for Canadian provinces and Territories
- Policy Perception Index (PPI) can serve as a report card to governments on how attractive their policies are from the perspective of an exploration manager.
- NT ranks 59 out of 84 globally, while NU ranks 35 our of 84.
- In Canada, NT ranks 12th (last) while NU ranks 9th.
Read full document for additional takeaways.